War, State and Society contains records from the following collections:
Records of central government departments and ministries
- War Cabinet: Home affairs minutes and memoranda from the Lord President's Committee and the Food Policy Committee.
- Ministry of Information: Home intelligence reports.
- Ministry of Home Security: Civil intelligence papers and daily reports of attacks on the U.K.
- Ministry of Health: Records of the Government Evacuation Scheme.
- Board of Education: Evacuation surveys and progress reports.
- Ministry of Labour and National Service: Minutes of the Committees for Reserved Occupations and Manpower Priorities.
- Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries: Administrative records of the Women's Land Army.
- Foreign Office: Records of refugee policy and the Advisory Council on Aliens.
- Ministry of Works and Buildings: Records of the Nuffield College Social Reconstruction Survey.
Records of local organisations and wartime bodies:
- Ministry of Home Security: Progress reports on bomb shelter provisioning and conditions.
- Research and Experiments Department: Surveys on the social impact of bombing.
- Ministry of Health: Evacuation numbers and progress reports submitted by Regional Officers.
- Food Control Committees: Minutes and enforcement records.
- Women's Land Army: Minutes of local organisations and welfare committees.
- The Home Guard: Histories and organisational records of local units.
Collections of government propaganda:
- Wartime advertisements from the History of Advertising Trust archives, Beccles (U.K.).
- Film production records from the Ministry of Information and the Crown Film Unit.
- Transcripts of the radio broadcast series Kitchen Front, produced by the Ministry of Food.
Users can browse, filter, and search the collection by the following themes and subthemes:
|Preparations for War and Peace||Military activity and Home Defence||Bombing and Attacks on the Population|
|Pre-war planning||Air Raid Precautions and Civil Defence||Damage to property|
|The wartime economy||Air raid shelters||Disruption to services|
|Health and welfare||Conscription||Casualties and injuries|
|Central and local government||Civilian-military interactions||Psychological impacts|
|Post-war planning||Invasion contingencies||Reconstruction and salvage|
|Rationing and Supply||Evacuation||Industry and Infrastructure|
|Agriculture and food supply||Evacuation scheme||Manufacturing and materials|
|Rationing, licensing, and price control||Reception and billeting||Transport and travel|
|Fuel and utilities||Education and schooling||Labour supply and relations|
|Retail and consumer goods||Unofficial evacuations||Gender and work|
|Enforcement and regulation||Dislocated populations||Reserved occupations|
|Domestic Life||Information Services and Propaganda||Social Relations|
|Eating and cooking||Public opinion and morale||Crime and policing|
|Housing and living conditions||Publicity campaigns and initiatives||The black market|
|Wages and cost of living||News and information channels||Political movements and disruption|
|Families and relationships||Censorship and surveillance||Social identities and divisions|
|Entertainment and culture||Rumours and gossip||Foreign nationals and newcomers|
The files contain the following document types:
- Advertisements, Pamphlets, and Posters
- Film and Broadcast Transcripts
- Letters and Statements from the Public
- Maps, Charts and, Diagrams
- Meeting Minutes
- Official Correspondence
- Press Summaries and Publications
- Reports and Surveys
- Statistical data
In addition, the files are also indexed according to the following:
- The thirteen Civil Defence Regions of the wartime U.K. (including Northern Ireland).
- A list of over 1,500 locations (including over 200 countries and locations outside of the U.K.).
- A list of over 500 government, commercial, and public organisations and services.
- A list of over 950 subject-specific keywords.